Apple cinnamon monte cristo! A simple and delicious apple cinnamon spin on the classic ham and cheese french toast sammie.
Hiya friends! Can you tell I’m ready the weekend? Nothing says Saturday brunch quite like a french toast ham and cheese sammie covered in syrup! Mmmmm…….
Well…. guess what? IT’S OFFICIALLY FALL! I’ve been patiently waiting and ready for weeks now, and it’s finally here. Have you busted out all things pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, warm and comforting? I held off on the Fall posts until now, but today I bring you the first of your Fall flavors – apple cinnamon! I am so excited for new Fall recipe inspirations, as well as totally devouring my favorite Fall meals. Yay!
Usually, the hubs and I try to get at least one awesome homemade smoked pork shoulder in before the end of the Summer season, but this year we just couldn’t make that happen. With the move to a small apartment in the city in August, smoking meats isn’t really an option. Boar’s Head SmokeMaster Beechwood Smoked™ Black Forest Ham gave us our September smoked meat fix we were craving! Crafted with the finest ingredients and exceptional care, this ham is naturally smoked with imported German beechwood. Ooooooh!
Guess what? You could win a $50 Gift Card to be used for the purchase of Boar’s Head SmokeMaster Beechwood Smoked Black Forest Ham! Booyah! Check out the Boar’s Head Smoke House Rules page for details!
OK guys. Onto this recipe!
- 2 Tbsp butter, divided
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 medium fuji apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½" thick slices, then half moons
- 3 eggs
- ⅛ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 small slices cinnamon raisin bread
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices Boar's Head Smokemaster Black Forest Ham, ¼" thick
- Maple syrup for serving, warmed
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp butter and cinnamon over medium heat. When melted, add apples. Stir to combine and saute until softened and al dente, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and salt in shallow dish or bowl. Set aside.
- Divide half of the cheese among 2 of the bread slices. Top with the ham, ⅔ of the apples, the remaining cheese and the remaining slices of bread.
- Melt the remaining 1 Tbsp butter in your skillet over medium heat. Using your hands, carefully dip one sandwich, bread side down, into the egg mixture. Flip and dip the other side. Immediately place into the skillet. Repeat with other sandwich.
- Cover and cook until bread is browned, about 3-5 minutes. Flip sandwiches, cover again, and cook until bread is browned and cheese is melted.
- Top each sandwich with remaining apples and drizzle with warmed maple syrup.
What are you Smoke House Rules?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.