Well well well…….. more Belgian food! Yep, Global Feasts: Belgium is still going strong. This Belgian endive and apple salad was my attempt at having a bit of a ‘green’ dish at the rich, beer heavy feast. Definitely lived up to it’s expectations!
Am I the only person in the universe who had never eaten Belgian endive? I’d never even heard of it! It’s pretty awesome though. Now, I can totally picture all those appetizers in the slim, boat like green leafy thing. THAT is Belgian endive. DUH TRISH! Duh. (Insert head slap here.)
Here’s what I like about this salad:
The endive holds it’s shape, so the salad doesn’t wilt and fall flat once it’s dressed.
It’s crunchy, with a bit of creaminess from the goat cheese and zing from the vinegar and shallot.
It took less than 15 minutes to make, and I think it’s freakin beautiful.
- 4 heads Belgian endive, outer leaves removed, then halved
- 2 fuji apples, sliced, then halved
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley
- Combine endive, apples, walnuts, and goat cheese in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine vinegar, oil, and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified. Stir in shallot.
- Pour vinegar mixture over endive mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with fresh parsley.
It ain’t over friends! Global Feasts: Belgium continues this week with a beer tasting and some totally killer Belgian chocolate mousse with raspberry lambic sauce. Total score.