Blackberry lemon old fashioned – a refreshing and delicious spin on the classic old fashioned cocktail!
And just like that, the last few days of Summer are here. It’s getting cloudy and chilly. The hubbs and I actually drank a cup of tea last night! Whoa. So……. with the cooler weather comes my love for old fashioneds. They are just not a Summer drink for me, but the rest of year, they just rock my world. I like to make them with 4 shots (YES 4!) of Bulleit rye. Mmmm……
I am still trying to get in that last bit of Summer produce while I still can. Blackberries, tomatoes, zucchini, all things stone fruit. You know the drill. Totally ready for Fall, but know you should savor the Summer while it’s here. Yep, that feeling.
It seems like every September, when I re-unite with my love of all things whiskey after a Summer of moscow mules and margaritas, I try to jazz it up with something, well…… Summery. It usually doesn’t work, or is tasty, but just not as good as the classic old fashioned.
This one though, this one may be an exception! This blackberry lemon old fashioned is super bright, and a tad sweeter than the classic! The lemon really turns up the volume on the citrus, and blackberries just make everything better amiright? Although, it’s no replacement for my all time fave, I could absolutely see myself drinking this in the Summer. WIN!
- 4 blackberries
- 1 sugar cube, or 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 half moon slice of lemon
- 4 dashes angostura bitters
- 4 oz high quality rye or bourbon
- ice (optional)
- blackberries for garnish (optional)
- Place the blackberries, sugar, and lemon slice in a low ball cocktail glass. Top with bitters.
- Muddle together with a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful with the lemon. You do not want to muddle the rind, just the juicy, pulpy part.
- Top off with your favorite rye or bourbon, stir together, and add ice if desired. Garnish with blackberries (optional).
This is a really awesome take on the classic! I love this time of year, when whiskey and I become besties again.
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!