These delicious cauliflower quinoa burgers will become your new favorite veggie burger! Packed with flavor and topped with buttery, garlicky sauteed mushrooms and onions. YUM!
Look. I made you an awesome burger for your weekend! Veggie style…….
So, I’ve been pouring my heart and soul into veggie burgers the last year trying to get them right. I’ve tried so many different kinds!
BBQ tempeh burgs with slaw. FAIL!
Teriyaki tempeh and caramelized pineapple burgs. Close…. but FAIL!
I am happy to say….. these cauli quinoa burgs are a hit too! WOOT! They seriously taste like Fall, which was what I was going for.
See those buttery mushrooms and onions up there? MMMMM….. those buttery bombs totally MAKE this burger. I mean, isn’t everything better with sauteed mushrooms?
Um…….. Did you know that Dave’s Killer Bread makes buns?? YES!
- I small head of cauliflower, chopped into very small pieces
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup dry quinoa
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 16-20 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 large slices aged havarti cheese
- 5 burger buns
- Arugula and mayonnaise for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the cauliflower in 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned and beginning to char. Let cool slightly
- Meanwhile, combine the quinoa and the veggie stock in a small saucepan with fitted lid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic, and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa with the cauliflower. Add the parsley, thyme, and panko and stir or mix with your hands. Season very generously with salt and pepper to taste. Add the egg and mix until evenly combined. Form 5 round balls with your hands. Make sure to squeeze any moisture out of the balls and make sure that they are intact and holding together. If not, add a bit more panko. Carefully form patties out of the balls, keeping the mixture squeezed together.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add the burgers and cook until fully browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers. Top the burgers with havarti, cover, and cook until browned and havarti is melted, about 5-8 minutes.
- To serve, place burger patties on the bottom burger buns. Evenly distribute mushroom mixture. Top with fresh arugula, mayonnaise or other toppings of your choice. Top with with burger bun tops.
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes: 5 burgers
Happy weekend friends!
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!