Hey guys. I’m like a new woman today! We are finally starting to get settled into our new apartment in the city, and guess what? This is the FIRST recipe that I created in the apartment! WOOT! I feel pretty awesome about this. Cuz, you know. It’s been freakin FOOOORRRREEEEVVVVEEEERRRRRR of living with a packed up kitchen. So, this isn’t the prettiest soup ever, but it sure it tasty. This tomato gazpacho with crispy falafel chickpeas is like eating a Summery bowl of Mediterranean goodness!
The crispy chickpeas are really where it’s at here. I thought they tasted JUST like little crispy falafel bites. YUM! The gazpacho is really simple and refreshing, the yogurt is really garlicky and minty, and the chickpeas are heavily spiced and tahini-y. Yes yes. Delicious amiright?
I realized while making this how IMPERATIVE it is that I get myself a better blender. Mine is so old guys. It could barely handle making a blueberry smoothie the other night. Ugh. It pureed those tomatoes like a champ, but had a bit of a rough go at it with the bell pepper. I can only IMAGINE how smooth this would be with one of those Ninjas! Hmmmm….. the holiday season is coming up here soon(ish). Wink wink.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes
- ½ english cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- ¼ small sweet onion
- 6 oz greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the chickpeas in the tahini, oil, coriander, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on the parchment paper and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until chickpeas are crisp. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, hull tomatoes and cut a large X in the bottom of each one. bring 6 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Prepare an ice bath large enough for the tomatoes. Drop tomatoes into boiling water, and blance for 30 seconds, or until skin starts to peel. Remove tomatoes and plunge into ice bath. Peel skin, and cut into quarters.
- Puree tomatoes in a blender. Add cucumber, bell pepper, and onion and blend well. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, mint, and garlic, and water in a small bowl. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide gazpacho evenly among 4 small bowls. Drizzle yogurt, then top with cherry tomatoes and crispy chickpeas.
Cheers to the first recipe in our new apartment! Things are lookin good, Seattle.
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!