Homemade berbere recipe! Berbere spice is a blend from Ethiopia very common in Ethiopian cuisine. Fiery chiles and warming spices make this perfect for soups, stews, or as a seasoning!
Aaaaaaaaand Global Feasts Ethiopia recipes officially begin! First up, the heart and soul of Ethiopian wots, a homemade berbere recipe. Berbere is a fiery Ethiopian spice blend used throughout so much of Ethiopian cooking. It consists largely of ground red chiles, onion powder, fenugreek, and paprika.
So, I believe this is a pretty authentic berbere recipe. I scoured the interwebs and found SO many different recipes with different ingredients! I sort of blended all of the recipes I found together to make my own version, which I have really fallen head over heels for. Mine didn't end up that rich red hue that I have seen in photos, but I'm still a mega-fan.
It's really no secret around here that I am absolutely gaga for a good Indian dish. I go through curry powder like crazy in my house, and keep a stock of naan in the freezer at all times. THIS berbere though, it's like a deeper, more elevated curry powder. I can honestly say that I may have replaced my go to curry powder with berbere!
Berbere recipe (Ethiopian spice blend)
- 2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 10 whole cloves
- 16 medium dried spicy red finger chiles, stems removed
- 3 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoon onion powder
- 6 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, and cloves in a small frying pan. Heat over medium high heat until fragrant and toasted, about 3 minutes. Do not burn. Set aside.
- Grind the red chiles in a spice grinder or coffee grinder. Add the toasted spices and grind until fine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chile mixture with the remaining ingredients. Whisk together until well blended.
- Store in an airtight container.
Still to come this week for Global Feasts Ethiopia: misir wot, a spiced lentil tomato stew. I used lots of this awesome berbere in it!
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians.
Thank you so much for reading and supporting Rhubarbarians and the brands that we recommend. If you’re looking for a group of people cooking vegetarian recipes through the seasons, join us on Facebook in our vegetarian and vegan recipes group!
Hope you try this fantastic spice blend on some vegetarian dishes!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!