This simple and delicious blackberry hazelnut clafoutis adds wild blackberries and a nutty crunch to the classic French favorite. Perfect for breakfast OR dessert!
Alright, alright, alright. (Um….. are you hearing Matthew now? Oops.) Well….. what I MEANT was, alright, I’m starting to go over to the dark side. The I’M READY FOR FALL dark side. The super annoying EVERYTHING PUMPKIN dark side. Almost.
Wild blackberry picking is always a September tradition for us. Did you get that? A SEPTEMBER tradition. For me, it always marks the very end of Summer, the ultimate transitional food for that glorious in between Summer and Fall time.
BUT….. this year, the berries came early. and Summer is still pounding away. It’s throwing me for a loop guys! I know it’s *almost* September, but these little black berries are making me long for crisp mornings, cinnamon in everything, orange and yellow, and of course, the State fair.
BTdubs. I snuck some cinnamon into this clafoutis. Sometimes, you just gotta go with your gut amiright?
On another note, I have some good and bad news. Bad news first? I won’t be hosting any more Global Feasts. I have really enjoyed getting to know other cultures and traditions through food, but I’m taking Rhubarbarians in a bit of a different direction.
The good news? I will focusing more on locally harvested and sustainable fruits and veggies! This is, after all, my passion when it comes to food, and one of the reasons I started my very first blog. I really missed getting creative with our CSA in the last year, and now that we are back in the city, I will be swimming in Pacific Northwest produce!
The next Global Feast would have been France. And this clafoutis was on my must-make list for the feast. I will absolutely still get inspired by global cuisine, but will be incorporating more of a local vibe into the dishes, just like this clafoutis!
So, what do you say? Still friends?
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2½ cups blackberries, washed and patted dry
- 1 cup unsalted raw hazelnuts, roughly chopped.*
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for serving (optional)
- Additional blackberries and hazelnuts for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously grease a 10″ cast iron skillet or pie pan with the butter.
- Spread the blackberries and chopped hazelnuts evenly along the bottom of the pan.
- Combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, and vanilla in a blender. Blend just until combined. Add sugar mixture and blend until smooth and slightly frothy.
- Evenly pour into pan over berries and nuts. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake another 20-25 minutes, or until center is cooked.
- Let cool about 5 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with additional berries and hazelnuts.
You know, I wish I had more blackberry recipes for you. Jared and I picked 2 giant tubs of them a few weekends ago! We ate them ALL! OMG. Maybe they will still be around in September, and all will be right with the world. 🙂
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!