The Vday extravaganza continues! You guys have GOT to try these homemade sugar cubes.
Blood orange bitters. Fresh rosemary. Superfine sugar. Blood orange bitters and rosemary sugar cubes.
It’s no secret that we heart cocktails around here. A LOT. Aaaaaaaaand we like awesome fancy gadgets and garnishes to go with them. I got Jerdy a bottle of blood orange bitters a bit ago. So, you know me, trying new thangs.
I got the idea for these on Food52. Freakin genius you guys. Freakin genius. Mine didn’t turn that crazy pink color like I was hoping for V-day, but whatevs. Still rad.
I ended up having to make 2 batches of these alcy sugar bombs. The first one, I tried to dry out in the oven. I ended up with gross rosemary flavored caramelized sugar. Sounds kind of good doesn’t it? um…….. nope.
This second go around I let dry out on the counter for 4 days. Bingo. Still a bit more crumbly than store bought sugar cubes, but…… blood orange bitters and rosemary flavored!
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 2 Tablespoons blood orange bitters*
- 1 Tablespoon very finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Using your fingers, mix together ingredients in a mixing bowl until evenly blended.
- Line a 9x5" loaf pan with parchment paper. Press sugar into the bottom of the loaf pan very tightly using the heel of your palm until evenly packed well.
- Using a butter knife, cut sugar into cubes the size of your choice.
- Leave uncovered on counter for at least 24 hours. Break apart and serve with cocktails, champagne, or give as a gift!
*I used these blood orange bitters, but you can use Angostura or other flavored bitters as well.
I can’t wait to pour some champagne over these! Or maybe gin…… or bourbon…… tee-hee.