The best butternut squash soup toppings! From crunchy textures to creamy swirls, these toppings make your bowl of soup an exciting meal.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to warm and cozy butternut squash soup season! Today, we're taking the classic soup favorite to the next level with toppings full of flavor and texture.
Picture a warm, velvety bowl of butternut squash soup, but now imagine it topped with crunchy textures, creamy swirls, and seasonal pairings. Here's what to add to butternut squash soup that will transform your soup from merely good to absolutely unforgettable.
As the seasons change and the air turns crisp, there's nothing quite like savoring a steaming bowl of cozy soup. Yet, what truly makes a humble soup amazing is the toppings. The right combination of toppings can take your butternut squash soup from a simple starter to a fun, family dinner.
Why you'll love these
Toppings for butternut squash soup are more than just garnishes, they truly elevate your meal!
- Flavor: the versatile butternut squash pairs with so many amazing flavors. Whether it's sweet, savory, smoky, or spicy, all of these toppings pair well with the earthy and nutty flavor of squash.
- Texture: crunchy, crispy toppings on top of creamy and smooth soup. Amazing.
- Customization: There's something for everyone! With dietary restrictions or family members with differing opinions, customized toppings can make everyone happy.
When is butternut squash season? Don't let the name "winter squash" fool you! Butternut squash is actually harvested in early fall. However, the thick skin and firm flesh make it so that it can be stored safely for several months with the skin intact.
Now, for the toppings! Butternut squash soup toppings are your chance to add flavors and textures to your soup. Let's get into it.
Crunchy toppings are QUEEN when it comes to adding texture to a creamy bowl of soup.
- Toasted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, pecans, or hazelnuts. I like to toast these Go Raw sprouted pumpkin seeds.
- Crispy chickpeas.
- Parmesan crisps.
- Bacon bits. There are a lot of vegetarian bacon bits to choose from these days, or try making these TVP bacon bits!
- Granola. You can go with classic maple cinnamon, pumpkin granola, or try savory granola.
Let's make that creamy swirl we all love in a bowl of butternut soup, shall we?
- Light coconut milk. Full fat coconut milk works too, but light is better for drizzling.
- Heavy cream or half and half.
- Yogurt. Low fat plain would be best for drizzling, while full fat would be best for stirring in.
- Creme fraiche.
- Ricotta cheese.
- Sour cream.
Herbs and spices
Fresh herbs and spices can add a punch of flavor your bowl of soup might be missing.
- Savory herbs. Try fresh thyme, rosemary, or sage.
- Bright herbs. Go for fresh cilantro, green onion, micro greens, or parsley.
- Warm spices. Try cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, or clove. Or top with a homemade pumpkin spice.
Rather than having a protein on the side, opt for topping your soup with one!
- Chickpeas, beans, and lentils. These sauteed lemon rosemary chickpeas are a fave.
- Tofu. Here's how to make crispy tofu three different ways!
- Toasted nuts and seeds.
- Halloumi. Brown halloumi cubes before adding to your soup so they are warm and crispy!
- Meat and seafood if not vegetarian.
A bit of spice makes everything nice! Right?
- Sriracha or hot sauce. I'm a sucker for Cholula right now.
- Crushed red pepper flakes.
- Chile powder or curry powder.
- Jalapeno slices.
- Chili crunch. The Momofuku chili crunch is amazing!
Fruits and veggies
- Onions. Blackened onions or burnt onions are delicious. Or try caramelized onions.
- Apples. Sauteed with a bit of cinnamon.
- Mushrooms. Sauteed in a bit of garlic and butter.
- Citrus. A squeeze of lime in a Thai squash soup is divine.
- Avocado slices.
Kid friendly toppings
Let your kids have fun with picking their own toppings for soup! They may even want to help make them with you.
- Grilled cheese cubes.
- Granola. Is there a flavor your kid loves?
- Goldfish crackers.
- Sauteed apples.
- Grated cheese.
Butternut squash soup recipes to try:
- Butternut squash leek soup
- Thai curried butternut squash soup
- Butternut squash soup with chickpeas and smoked gouda
- Curried butternut squash cauliflower soup
Or check out this list of the best recipes for butternut squash soup!
If you try any of these toppings on your butternut squash soup, don't forget to tag me on Instagram and let me know!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!