Cheese tortellini with caramelized onion sauce and mushrooms recipe! This simple and delicious vegetarian tortellini pasta has the most flavorful sauce you will ever taste. Your whole family will love this!
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey friends! Comin atcha today with a recipe for all you people looking to impress with minimal effort.
An easy, effortless pasta. With caramelized onion sauce. Yep, CARAMELIZED ONION SAUCE! With mushrooms and some fresh parsley. Luuuuuv this one.
Vegetarian cheese tortellini pasta
There is absolutely no reason a vegetarian tortellini pasta can't be loaded with flavor!
For this recipe, we used refrigerated 3 cheese tortellini. Using a simple, vegetarian cheese tortellini really allows us to focus on a fresh and easy, slow cooked sauce.
The result is a rich, meatless dinner that everyone in the house is going to love!
Have you tried our chickpea pasta with creamy roasted eggplant sauce?
Caramelize the onions
OK. Let's just chat about this caramelized onion sauce for a sec. Just look at how rich and caramelized it is! This really is one decadent sauce. Sweet, savory, bright, herby. YUM YUM!
The key with this sauce though.... you HAVE to be patient. You really need those onions to cook down and caramelize, or it will just taste like a bowl full of browned onions.
See that pic below? On the left, you can see how many onions you start with. A lot! On the right, that is when you add the mushrooms and garlic. Then, the onions STILL need to cook. Until they are all jammy and mushy and caramelizy and just... delicious.
But don't worry... this sauce is mostly hands off, which means it's easy enough for a weeknight!
Psssst: if you like caramelized onions, give these quick burnt onions a try!
Have you tried our cheesy mushroom toast with mustard and thyme?
Make the sauce
So, you slow cook the onions for about an hour. Be sure to leave them alone and only stir every 10 minutes or so.
Then, when they look like the photo on the right (above), you add your garlic and mushrooms. Cook for about another 10 minutes and add some vinegar to brighten up that sweet jammy sauce. Cook just a bit longer, and toss with any kind of pasta you desire.
I recommend using some sort of stuffed pasta, like tortellini or ravioli. Or, toss it with some seasonal veggies and noodles!
Love cheese tortellini? Try this vegetarian tortellini salad recipe!
Cheese tortellini with caramelized onion sauce and mushrooms recipe
- 6 tablespoon salted butter
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ large yellow onions, sliced into ½" slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 10 mushrooms)
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 20 ounces cheese tortellini
- salt and pepper
- about ¾ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat butter and oil in a large cast iron dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and sugar and stir to combine. Cook for about 10 minutes, until onions are starting to brown. Give a good stir and reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook until onions are brown and caramelized, almost jammy (see pic), about an hour, stirring every 10 minutes. Be patient here! You want those onions to be brown and rich with flavor!
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions and set aside.
- When the onions are caramelized, but not quite jammy yet (see pic), add the garlic and mushrooms. Give a good stir and cook another 10 minutes. Add the red wine vinegar, and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and toss in the tortellini. Season with salt and pepper and add most of the parsley, leaving some for serving. Toss all together and serve, topping with additional fresh parsley.
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians
Thank you so much for reading and supporting Rhubarbarians and the brands that we recommend. If you’re looking for a group of people cooking vegetarian recipes through the seasons, join us on Facebook in our vegetarian and vegan recipes group!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!