HEY FRIENDS! I’VE CREATED A FACEBOOK COMMUNITY FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE VEGETARIAN COOKING WITH SEASONAL PRODUCE. JOIN US HERE!
Easy, healthy chickpea pasta with creamy roasted eggplant sauce recipe! A vegan and gluten-free meal that your whole family will love.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Chickapea pasta. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Rhubarbarians!
Are you feeling all the fall vibes yet? I'm definitely in warm and cozy dinner mode these days. The comfort food cravings are hitting HARD!
This healthy pasta recipe is sure to cure all those comfort food cravings! A big bowl of pasta smothered in plant based, creamy veggie sauce. Mmmmmm......
I love this roasted eggplant sauce because it's super super easy to make. You just roast your ingredients on a sheet plan and blend them in a blender. That's it!
One thing that I always crave in the fall is a giant bowl of pasta. Pasta is just the best thing ever, but not the best thing ever for your waistline.
Enter, CHICKAPEA PASTA! You guys, this pasta is made from chickpeas and lentils. ONLY chickpeas and lentils. Nothing artificial at all. With 27 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber per serving, it's comfort food turned super food! Huzzah!
What I love the most about Chickapea pasta is the convenience. I can make a meal for my family in no time, and not feel guilty about giving Rhubarbaby a big bowl of carbs LOL!
P.S. Did you know that they make healthy mac and cheese? TOTAL. GAME. CHANGER.
How to make pasta with creamy roasted eggplant sauce:
First up: roast your veggies. The veggies can just be roasted whole, including the garlic cloves. Just place on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.
When the veggies are almost done, start boiling your water for the pasta. Cook according to package directions while you get the sauce ready. Remember to reserve some of the pasta water!
The veggies will need to cool until you can handle them and then peeled. This is easier than it sounds, the skin should just peel right off. Place the veggies in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and blend until it's all nice and creamy.
Toss together the pasta with the sauce and add all of your great toppings. Enjoy!
Notes about this vegan, gluten-free pasta with roasted eggplant sauce:
- I kept the salt to a minimum in this recipe, but you may need to add more salt if the sauce seems like it needs it.
- This recipe makes more sauce than you will probably need for 1 box of pasta. Just pour on as much as you'd like and reserve the rest for leftovers.
- Parmesan cheese is optional for a vegan meal, but really makes the dish even more flavorful!
- This roasted eggplant sauce is EGGPLANTY! You must be an eggplant lover to like this sauce LOL!
Chickpea pasta with creamy roasted eggplant sauce
- 1 8oz box Chickapea pasta spirals
- 1 medium eggplant, top cut off
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 large garlic cloves, or ¼ head of garlic
- ½ a yellow onion
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup walnuts
- Fresh basil, chopped walnuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese for serving.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional for easy clean up). Whole roast the eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, and onion on the sheet pan for 45 minutes, or until everything is nice and soft. Remove from oven and let cool until ready to handle with your hands.
- When the vegetables are almost roasted, place a pot of water to boil on the stove for the pasta. Cook for 5-9 minutes or until desired tenderness. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water and drain.
- Peel the tomatoes, onion, and eggplant (you may need help from a knife for the eggplant), and remove the garlic cloves from their skin. Place in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the olive oil, dried basil, thyme, salt, pepper, and walnuts. Puree until smooth.
- Return the pasta to the pan and add as much of the pasta sauce as you'd like to your pasta. You will probably have more sauce than you need. Stir to combine and add pasta water as needed to fully combine the sauce with the pasta.
- To serve, top with fresh basil, chopped walnuts, parmesan cheese (optional), and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
Thank you Chickapea for supporting this post! You can purchase all the Chickapea products HERE!
I hope you’ll give this chickpea pasta with creamy roasted eggplant sauce recipe a try! Snap a pic and give me a shout on social media #Rhubarbarians!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!