These fresh corn and black bean tacos with smoky sour cream are crunchy, spicy, smoky, and ready in only 30 minutes!
We have quite the CORNY post today! heh heh. See what I did there? Well, for some reason I just can’t get enough Mexican food this Summer. Or corn. Or spicy! ALL THREE! They are just rockin it for me these days.
I think part of it was that whole living alone for a month thing. I needed easy, fast, something I could make for just myself without hating it. Mexican food just…… worked. My regular staple became Taco salads, similar to this quinoa salad, except not as fancy, and just salsa as the dressing.
Thank you, Mexican food. For being so easy and delicious.
Now that we (WE! YAY!), are back in the city, we can eat whatever we want, pretty much whenever we want. WOOT! Ah city life, digging it around here.
So, these tacos started out as a sort of “Mexican street corn” taco. I was trying to get that herby, buttery, cotija thing happening. But in a taco. Not sure I totally pulled it off, but the tacos are pretty killer, so there ya go.
Where it’s at is the smoky sour cream. That shit is DA BOMB! Diggity. Garlicky, limey, creamy, and SMOKY! A pretty big hit of smoked paprika really just MAKES these tacos.
- 2 small ears of corn
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- ½ small sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (omit seeds for less heat)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 lime, juiced, divided
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 medium sized corn or flour tortillas
- TOPPINGS FOR SERVING:
- Cotija cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced radish
- Sliced scallions or green onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Cut the kernels off the corn cobs. Set aside
- Heat the butter in a medium cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the chile powder, cumin, and oregano. Toast until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add onion and jalapeno. Saute until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add corn. Saute about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add beans, and the juice of ½ a lime. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, garlic, smoked paprika, and remaining juice of ½ a lime in a small bowl. If you'd like the sour cream thinner, add 1 Tbsp water or more lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, scoop a few spoonfuls of corn mixture into tortillas. Top with cotija cheese and other toppings of your choice. Finish it off with smoky sour cream.
There’s a very special post coming up this week! Blackberries!
Have a good week friends!
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!