This super simple sweet potato carrot soup is loaded with fresh herbs and flavor! Absolute comfort food in a bowl! Vegan, gluten free, and paleo friendly. So good!
Alright guys, what the heck is the deal with sweet potatoes and yams? Am I the only one that picks them up and can’t tell the difference between the orange and white fleshed potatoes? Well, until I cut into it of course. So, after making this soup, I quickly realized that I had picked up the white flesh sweet potato rather than the orange. Ended with a bit of a lack of color, but so much flavor in this soup guys!
Can you tell I’m a mega soup lover? I’ve made about a gazillion on this here blog already. My favorite from last Fall was the butternut squash soup with smoked gouda and spicy chickpeas on top. YUUUUUMMMM! Yum.
Also, we can’t NOT talk about Halloween. Right? Raise your hand if you’re planning to stay in and watch scary movies!
Jared and I went out last Friday as Beetlejuice and Lydia to his annual work costume party. Here’s proof. This weekend though, I plan to hang in, eat some popcorn, and watch some good old fashioned horror flicks. Or maybe Teen Witch. heh.
Well, this soup kind of tastes like Thanksgiving in a bowl. Minus the turkey and cranberry. Um…….. well maybe not Thanksgiving, but it’s loaded with herbs and Thanksgiving flavors! Mmmmmm……
Something is happening next week that’s kind of freakin me out guys. I’m starting the 21 day fix. I basically have to cut out all that glorious cheese and wine from my diet, and start getting serious about my health. My weight isn’t something that I mention much on the blog, but it’s something in my life that I struggle with and have been working on controlling. The older I get, the harder it becomes.
Have any of you taken the challenge? If you have any tips or recipes, I’d love to hear them! 3 weeks is going to be rough, but it ends right before Thanksgiving, and eating everything I want on Thanksgiving day is going to be my reward for completing it. Maintaining afterward during the holidays will be another challenge. 🙁
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 lbs)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, carrots and herbs, and saute until very fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and vegetable stock. Bring just to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or regular blender in batches. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Total time: 40 minutes
Makes: About 8 servings
Happy Halloween friends! What are your plans?
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!