HEY FRIENDS! I’VE CREATED A FACEBOOK COMMUNITY FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE VEGETARIAN COOKING WITH SEASONAL PRODUCE. JOIN US HERE!
This vegan strawberry smoothie is extra thick and creamy! Pureed, roasted pistachios give this strawberry smoothie a deep, nutty flavor. Loaded with protein and fiber!
Another day, another smoothie! Are you getting sick of seeing smoothies on the blog yet? I drink them every single day, so I'm always coming up with new combos.
I haven't seen any local strawberries here yet, but our local farmers market opens next Saturday (wooooot!). Plus, my new city of Spokane has a gazillion u-pick farms nearby that all open in June. Bring on aaaaaaall the summer berries!
I love using strawberries in smoothies, because they add a lot of sweetness without having to add any sugar. Plus, they are so versatile! They go with so many other ingredients, so for a smoothie lover, they are basically QUEEN. Mix them up with tart lemon, or keep things creamy with banana and buttermilk.
Okay, so let's chat about the pistachio in this smoothie. This is NOT that fake, green pistachio flavor that you'd find in store bought pudding. This is real pistachio flavor. From real pistachios.
First, soak roasted pistachios so they got nice and soft. Then blend them with all the ingredients, and you have a TRUE strawberry pistachio smoothie.
I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk as the liquid base for this smoothie, which gives it a vanilla-y sweetness without adding sugar. It kind of reminds me of those strawberry shortcake popsicles we used to get from the popsicle man as a kid. Remember those?
Some notes about this vegan strawberry smoothie:
- I used vanilla almond milk, but you could use plain and add your own vanilla
- The maple syrup is completely optional. Feel free to omit or even add more if you'd like
- This would work great with other berries as well. Try raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, you get the idea.
- You have to soak the pistachios to get them soft enough to blend, and a high speed blender is your BFF. I used a Ninja blender, and it didn't get it quite as smooth as a Vitamix would have.
- I used frozen berries, but fresh berries would be even better. Just add some ice to your smoothie if you use fresh berries.
Creamy vegan strawberry smoothie with pistachios
- 1 cup shelled, roasted pistachios
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- Place your pistachios in a bowl and cover completely with water. Soak for at least 3 hours or overnight on the counter. Drain the water and rinse the pistachios. Add them to a blender.
- Add all the other ingredients to the blender and puree until smooth. Enjoy!
Cheers to strawberry season!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!