Easy fried plantains recipe! These delicious, golden fried green plantains are a Colombian favorite and are served alongside a spicy aji sauce.
Learn how to make fried plantains at home! These were a favorite at Global Feasts: Colombia and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
So, I originally wanted to try my hand at tostones, but with all the other delicious food being cooked for this feast, I just stuck to simple straight up fried sliced green plantains. Tostones probably would have been more like chips, since you know, fried then smashed then fried again.
Have you ever had a fried green plantain? Don’t be fooled by the banana look alike here, these don’t taste ANYTHING like bananas. At least, the under ripe green ones that are fried in oil don’t. They are slightly sweet, crunchy, and not at all greasy.
Can we just chat about this
Idgie Threadgoode aji sauce for a sec? The Colombians know how to make a sauce! We used it on every dish we made for the Global Feasts: Colombia! It’s bright, it’s green, it’s limey, it’s a tad but not too spicy, it’s packed full of herby goodness and I absolutely loved it!
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 habaneros stems removed
- The juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 2 green plantains
- 1 cup canola oil
- Start by making your aji sauce. Combine cilantro (with stems), habaneros (with seeds), lime juice, green onion, and water in a blender. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Let rest for at least 2 hours, stirring once.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Remove the peel from the plantains by cutting off the end, then cutting a slit lengthwise down the peel, being careful not to slice the plantain. Carefully unwrap the plantains. Slice plantains lengthwise into 3-4 1" strips.
- Place plantain strips into oil a few at a time, making sure to not overcrowd the pan. Fry for about 5 minutes, or until bottom side is golden, and flip. Fry another 3-5 minutes, or until plantain is golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel to soak up the oil. Continue until all plantains are fried.
- Serve with aji sauce.
If you make this recipe, please let me know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag me on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians.
Thank you so much for reading and supporting Rhubarbarians and the brands I recommend. If you’re looking for a group of people cooking vegetarian recipes through the seasons, join us on Facebook in our vegetarian and vegan recipes group!
I hope you try these plantains and love them!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!