This golden beet, potato, and arugula salad with tarragon vinaigrette is a delicious, hearty, healthy vegan salad that comes together in only 15 minutes!
You guys. Root veggies are happening. They are a happening thing. Like right now. WOOOOOOOOT! The beets and potatoes are in full swing here in the Pacific Northwest. And I’m luuuuuuuuuving IT! So pumped for all those parsnips and turnips. MMmmmmmm.
Pretty sure I’ll be changing my tune come February, when I have run out of root veggie ideas (gasp!). But, for now, exciting stuff!
On another note: I ate my first apple of the (upcoming) season this morning. A giant freakin honeycrisp apple that I could only eat half of with a side of cinnamony coffee cake (and coffee, duh). It was glorious. Crisp and sunny mornings this week……. ah sigh.
So, you may have noticed the lack of red beet recipes on this here blog. Here’s a little secret: I am still struggling to like beets. I am starting off like a wuss with golden beets, which to me have less of a……. well…… dirt flavor. DON’T HATE ME!
I’m trying. I really am. I loved the golden beets in this salad! The tarragon really pairs well with beets. So, there’s that. Baby steps friends. Baby steps.
Any great beet recipes for a beet skeptic? Send em my way! Please!
- 2-3 large red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 2-3 large golden beets with greens, scrubbed and diced, greens set aside
- 3 tsp fresh tarragon, finely minced
- 6 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp shallot, minced
- 6 cups packed arugula
- Salt and pepper
- Combine diced beets and potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, or until just fork tender. Strain and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine tarragon, vinegar, olive oil and shallot in a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake until emulsified. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop beet greens in bite sized pieces and combine with arugula in a large salad bowl. Toss in beets and potatoes. Give the dressing another shake and drizzle ⅔ onto the salad. Season with salt and pepper, toss, and taste. Toss with remaining dressing if desired, or leave lightly dressed.
Get creative with this one! Add pecans and dried cranberries for a great Autumn vibe! Toss in some fresh dill for an extra herby flavor. Do what you want! I love this salad because it is so simple, you can really make it your own.
So…….. who will I be seeing at the IFBC?
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!