Healthy lemon coconut smoothie recipe! A tart, yet sweet way to load up on probiotics and nutrients.
You guys, it's time to rejoice. JANUARY IS OVER! Most of the diets are coming to an end (ahem.... not mine), the post-holiday blues are a thing of the past, and we have the shortest month of the year to enjoy before spring fever hits.
Not so bad, eh?
So, I know that all of you are dying for pasta and booze right now, but smoothies are still a daily part of this gal's life. I'm still going strong on 80 day obsession, so can you hold off a bit until the indulgences start? ?
I have a smoothie every morning, and winter gets suuuuuuper tough when it comes to keeping things fresh and new. Winter citrus though, it always surprises me. I never would have thought that adding lemon to a smoothie would be a good idea, until I tried out my new favorite green smoothie. Lemon adds so much brightness! It's different, it's tasty, it's soooo healthy. WINNING!
This coconut smoothie has both a super tart kick to it from the lemon, and also that tropical sweetness from the coconut. You get the best of both worlds here.
It sort of feels like you're drinking some sort of tangy dessert. But for breakfast. The yogurt makes this smoothie super creamy and luscious, the lemon keeps it tart and tangy, and the coconut makes it sweet and desserty. Can you get behind that?
Notes about this lemon coconut smoothie:
- Be sure to use unsweetened coconut. You don't need any of that added sugar. See options below if you'd like a sweeter smoothie.
- Flaked vs. shredded coconut. I find that shredded coconut is much harder to puree than flaked. Shredded is also harder to find without sugar added. If you'd like to use shredded coconut, start with ½ cup instead of a full cup and add more as needed.
- This recipe uses a bit of honey to sweeten. Feel free to use maple syrup instead if you'd prefer. You can adjust the amount to add sweetness for a sweeter smoothie.
- A high speed blender is your best friend. Most blenders won't puree the coconut (my Ninja didn't). It still tastes delicious with the coconut still a bit flakey, but the texture will be best with the coconut fully pureed.
Healthy lemon coconut smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 ½ lemons)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- Optional for garnish: coconut flakes, lemon slices
- Puree the coconut flakes and water in a high speed blender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the blender and puree until smooth. Garnish with coconut flakes and lemon slices (optional). Enjoy!
So....... what are you mega-excited to eat in February? I'm getting ready for meyer lemons!
P.S. Want to see what I’m cooking up this week? Check out my Instagram stories!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!