Quick and easy honey stir fry sauce recipe! This versatile honey soy sweet chili stir fry sauce is delicious and perfect for weeknight homemade take out.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ready for your new favorite stir fry sauce recipe? This honey sour stir fry sauce is for you!
It's perfect for busy weeknights because you can whip it together in 5 minutes or less and it only has 4 ingredients in it including water. Huzzah!
The sweet, savory, salty, and sour taste makes it very versatile and perfect for so many Asian dishes.
Why you'll love this
Not only is this honey soy stir fry sauce quick and easy, it's also very family friendly. My kiddo loves it and always asks to have stir fry with this sauce for dinner.
Saute some veggies, protein of your choice, and garlic and ginger along with this sauce. Serve with rice or noodles. BAM dinner is done. A great vegetarian meal.
Why should you make your own sauce? There's no need for all those added ingredients in the store bought sauce! This sauce is made with just three pantry staples whisked together with water. That's it!
Ingredient and equipment
Here's everything you need to make this sauce at home! Full ingredients are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this article
- Sweet chili sauce
- Soy sauce
- One Tablespoon measuring spoon
- Bowl or jar for whisking together
- Small whisk or fork
Step by step instructions
Here's how to make honey stir fry sauce at home! Full instructions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this article
- Grab a medium sized bowl or jar for making the sauce. I like to use a pint sized mason jar.
- Add the honey, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and water to your bowl or jar.
- Whisk together until well combined.
- If you're not adding fresh garlic and ginger to your stir fry, I recommend adding some to your sauce. (See recipe card for recommended amounts)
- Taste and add more water if desired if the sauce is too thick.
Vegetarian dinners to try:
How to use it in stir fry
- First, cook your stir fry ingredients.
- Once they are cooked to your liking and the pan is still hot, pour in enough of the sauce to coat the stir fry ingredients.
- Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is heated through and thickened slightly.
Recipe ideas for honey stir fry sauce:
- Honey garlic cashew tofu
- Sauteed veggies over rice
- Stir fried noodles
- Marinade for tofu or other protein
- Use it as a dipping sauce
Pro tip: I recommend adding fresh ginger and garlic to your stir fry for the best flavor. You can add it directly to the sauce too!
Recipe tips and substitutions
- For a vegan sauce, swap the honey for agave.
- For a gluten free sauce, swap the soy sauce for tamari.
- Add fresh garlic and ginger to the sauce if you're not adding it to your stir fry.
- Be sure to taste the sauce and adjust with extra water, salt, or additional ingredients if desired.
- If the sauce is too thick for your liking, add a little bit of water to thin it out until you reach your desired consistency.
- If the sauce is too thin for your liking. stir in a teaspoon of cornstarch at a time until you reach your desired consistency. (Note: the cornstarch will thicken even more when cooked)
Storing and freezing
Storing: Store any remaining sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week. It will thicken when it's cold, but is fine to add directly to your stir fry when cold.
Freezing: I don't recommend freezing this sauce due to the honey as an ingredient.
Want to make it ahead? Go ahead! This sauce will last for up to a week in the refrigerator, so you can make a big batch to use throughout the week.
Yep! Perfect for tofu or protein of your choice.
Swap the honey for agave.
Swap the soy sauce for tamari.
Yep! You can make it up to a week ahead and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Whisk in one teaspoon of corn starch.
More sauce recipes to try:
Did you make this recipe? Leave us a review and star rating in the comments below! We read every single review and appreciate your feedback.
Honey stir fry sauce recipe
- 7 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 6 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 8 Tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic, optional if not using in stir fry recipe
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, optional if not using in stir fry recipe
- Whisk together the honey, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and water until well combined.7 Tablespoons honey, 2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce, 6 Tablespoons soy sauce, 8 Tablespoons water
- If you're not adding garlic and/or ginger to your stir fry recipe, go ahead and add those to your sauce and whisk in until combined.
- Taste and adjust the water level until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add to your stir fry after everything is cooked and toss to coat. Cook, stirring often, with your veggies/proteins until the sauce thickens slightly and is heated through.
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!