Indian food luvahs REJOICE! Cause today……. today you get SAAG! That amazing green mush made of greens, spices, and yogurt. YUUUHSSSS! Big time goodness right here. Things get a little jazzy with this one. KALE saag paneer with MANGO!
I know most of you probably didn’t notice…. but I took THREE DAYS OFF FROM BLOGGING! I feel like I have missed out on so much. What have I missed???!! GAH! Has everything changed? Do people still like me? Did saying “all the things” and eating avocado toast finally make an exit? Is there an alternative to CPM ads now?
It’s just all too much! Deep breaths.
- 3 Tablespoons ghee or butter, divided
- ⅔ Lb paneer, cubed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2″ piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons garam masala
- 8 cups packed kale, stems removed and chopped (about 2 bunches)
- 4 cups packed mustard greens, chopped
- 4 cups packed spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- ½ to 1 cup plain full fat yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 2 mangos, peeled and cubed
- fresh cilantro
- cooked basmati rice and naan for serving
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the ghee or butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add paneer, and saute, stirring often, until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add another Tablespoon of ghee in the skillet. Add onion, garlic, and ginger, and saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cayenne, turmeric, cumin, and garam masala, and stir well until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of ghee and let melt. Begin adding kale, a few handfuls at a time, stirring until greens are wilted. Continue until all greens are wilted and cooked down, including mustard greens and spinach, adding ⅛ cup of water as necessary, about 10 minutes.
- Place curry in a large blender and blend until smooth. Return to skillet.
- Stir in paneer, and reheat curry until hot. Stir in yogurt to taste, starting with ½ cup and adding more as desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve curry over basmati rice, topped with mango cubes and fresh cilantro. Eat with naan bread.