So, I had this mega hair-brained idea over this last Winter to go without coffee. Um……….. yeah. You can slap me like Robin in one of those Batman memes. Know those?! Let’s just say it made it’s way back into my life pretty quickly. Coffee, in my world, makes a morning. There is no good morning without coffee. It’s a love affair, and I’m cool with it now. Anywhoooooooo, we all love coffee blah blah blah. THIS GRANOLA THOUGH! It’s got coffee in it guys. Coffee AND chocolate AND cashews. My coffee addiction has made it’s way into my food with mocha granola with cashews!
Are there any totally crazy coffee snobs reading this? What is your favorite way to brew coffee? I’ve been a french press luvah for years and years. So much so that I haven’t even tried any of the new (ish) rad and fancy ways to brew coffee now. Like a syphon brewer? Not really new technology there, but does anyone actually use these science projects? I HAVE actually used an Aeropress, and it worked pretty well! Still stickin with my french press though.
You know something? This granola almost didn’t get made. We are having a SERIOUS (LIKE 90 DEGREES) HEATWAVE! This is some badass sunshiney heat for us Western Washingtonians. Especially for June, which we usually call Junuary. I can no longer tell my friends to stop getting impatient with Seattle weather because they KNOOOOOW it rains until the 4th of July! Not anymore! The heat is on. And it looks like it’s stickin around for a bit.
Whoa, anyways……. this granola! Our house has been so stifling hot, that turning on the oven to make it sounded like a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE! I just wanted to open the freezer and stand there aaaaaaaalllllll daaaaaay. But I didn’t. I made granola. Pat on the back. Cool story bro.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons raw cacao powder*
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup very strongly brewed coffee
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oats, and next 4 ingredients, through chia seeds in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Add honey, and stir well to coat. Add coffee, ¼ cup at a time, stirring to coat, until granola is wet but not sopping. You may not need the full cup of coffee.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread granola evenly over paper. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring twice during baking.
- Remove from oven and generously season with sea salt to taste. Give a good stir and let cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.