Oh, hey! Since posting this steak recipe, Rhubarbarians has gone VEGETARIAN! But it’s a great oldie-but-goodie recipe for you to enjoy. My husband made this steak for the blog way back when and still makes it this way on the reg!
Cook the steak of your dreams!
You know, like a restaurant steak!
You guys, this post is like, a month overdue. I was the very very lucky winner of a 14lb American Kobe strip loin from Broad Appetite and Snake River Farms back in December.
I think I am STILL in shock. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d grow up to win steak. ha!
Here’s the thing though…… it’s AMAZING steak. Freakin killer you guys.
I came up with all sorts of awesome steak recipe ideas in my head for this post. In the end though, I just wanted a perfectly prepared steak. Seasoned and seared well on the outside, and red on the inside. Medium rare style.
One thing though……. I didn’t know how to cook steak. I am not much of a meat cooker! So, I guess you can call it Jerdy’s recipe. Jerdy’s awesome perfect medium rare steak recipe. After we had some quality bonding steak cooking time, I made 3 of these beauties on my own. They ALL turned out awesome.
- 1 inch thick American Kobe strip steak or other high quality steak, 1 1/2 - 2
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil or other oil that can handle high temps
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- Let your steak come to room temperature, then season both sides VERY generously with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Get your pan nice and hot so the steak sizzles when it goes into the pan.
- Place the steak in the pan and sear each side until well seared, about 2 minutes each side including 2 inch edges. If the steak does not easily come off of the skillet, it is not fully seared.
- Place skillet with steak in heated oven for 2 1/2 minutes. Flip steak, top with butter and cook for another 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from skillet onto a cutting board and tent with tin foil. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice against the grain and serve.
Thank you SO much Marcella and Snake River Farms for sending me this incredible piece of beef!