HEY FRIENDS! I’VE CREATED A FACEBOOK COMMUNITY FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE VEGETARIAN COOKING WITH SEASONAL PRODUCE. JOIN US HERE!
Plum and pistachio coconut bliss balls recipe! These protein packed coconut bites are the perfect quick snack or healthy treat. Vegan and gluten free.
Oh hey, Rhubarbarians!
I hate to bring this up when it's craaaaazy hot out and it feels like summer just started, but... it's almost back to school time. SAY WHAT?
That means all the healthy lunch box recipes, right? So, are you getting ready or are you still just enjoying August and all it's summertime glory?
Rhubarbaby is just barely 2, but we've signed him for an early preschool class. It's basically a really, really awesome way for me to drop him off with with a cool lady who does fun things for a few hours twice a week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it, and I'm starting to understand why all moms love back to school time. HA!
I've been seeing this foodie trend around the blogosphere lately: BLISS BALLS! Ahem, an odd name, but ok, we'll roll with it. ?
I ended up buying a bag of these figgy pops (so good!) to see what all the fuss was about. Man, these little balls are like CRACK in our fam. Everyone devoured them in a quick blink of an eye. These coconut bliss balls really do make an amazing snack for kids. They are delicious and not so loaded with sugar that you feel guilty when your kids eat them. They make the perfect back to school lunchbox snack!
But, there were a few things I wanted to adjust. One, the price. So spendy when you can make your own for cheap. Two, dates are a bit sweet for me, so I needed something a little more tart.
So, I got to thinking and decided to try out some dried plums instead of the prunes. BOOYAH! Uh-mazing. It makes me wonder what all this fuss about dates is about, when plums are basically just better tasting dates. ??♀️
I'm totally into these, but thinking CHOCOLATE for my next batch. Chocolate chai protein balls or chocolate chia are totally on my radar. Or maybe some apple ones for fall. Would you want to see those?
How to make coconut bliss balls:
- Bust out your food processor and let it do the work for you.
- Combine the ingredients in the food processor until a ball forms.
- Roll into balls and then roll that ball around in some coconut flakes.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat! That's it!
Notes on making these coconut bliss balls:
- I used dried plums for this recipe, but for a sweeter bliss ball, dates would be perfect.
- I used sweetened shredded coconut, but you can use unsweetened to make these refined sugar free.
- The cinnamon really brings out the flavors, but isn't totally necessary if you are sensitive to cinnamon.
Plum and pistachio coconut bliss balls
- 3 cups pitted dried plums
- 1 cup roasted, salted pistachios
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup sweetened, shredded coconut*
- Combine the plums, pistachios, cinnamon, and oil in a food processor and process until a ball forms like dough.
- Using your hands, roll the mixture into 1" balls. You should end up with about 16.
- Spread the shredded coconut on a plate and roll the balls in the coconut until they are covered in coconut.
- Enjoy! Refrigerate the remaining balls so they stay nice and formed together.
I hope you’ll give these bliss balls a try! Snap a pic and give me a shout on social media #Rhubarbarians!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!