30-minute creamy vegan asparagus soup recipe! You will love this roasted asparagus soup made with an herby, lemony, pistachio cream.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi, Rhubarbarians! This recipe for roasted vegan asparagus soup is from The Healthy Mind cookbook by Rebecca Katz. I was given a copy of the cookbook and recipe for review and republish. All opinions are my own.
It's Spring, which means it's asparagus season! Let's make the most of it and make some amazingly delicious roasted asparagus soup.
Why you'll love this
If you're anything like me, you want a soup that is hearty enough for a full meal, easy enough for a weeknight, and makes great leftovers. This soup checks off all those boxes!
This is the best asparagus soup I've ever had, made with an incredible dairy free pistachio cream. The pistachio cream and potato in the soup make it hearty, but not heavy. So all you need to serve it for dinner is a spoon! Maybe a side salad and/or a slice of your favorite bread. Perfect.
The whole recipe comes together in just 30 minutes, which makes it quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
It's also made with seasonal spring ingredients: asparagus, potato, lemon, and fresh mint. Add the pistachios to the list and it's a spring soup dream come true!
Ingredients and equipment
Here's what you need to make the perfect cream of asparagus soup at home! Full ingredients and instructions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this article
- Vegetable broth.
- Fresh mint leaves.
- Fresh asparagus. Choose asparagus with firm stems and dry, closed tips.
- Olive oil.
- Onion and leek. Here's a video to help you prep the leeks if you need it!
- Yukon gold potato.
- Salt and pepper
- Roasted pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon slices. Optional, for serving.
- Blender or food processor.
- Measuring cups.
- Cutting board.
- Measuring spoons.
- Spatula or spoonula.
- Baking sheet.
- Parchment paper.
- Tongs. Or you can gently toss with your spatula.
- Large soup pot.
- Stove top or cook top.
- Stirring utensil.
- Immersion blender or regular blender. Here's the immersion blender that I have!
- Bowls and spoons for serving.
Pro tip: immersion blenders are blending wands that make blending soup quick, easy, and mess free! I have a KitchenAid immersion blender that's lasted for years that I love!
Step by step instructions
Here are your step by step instructions along with photos for this creamy vegan asparagus soup recipe. Full instructions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this article
- Preheat your oven and prep all of your ingredients.
- Start making the pistachio cream. Place one cup of the vegetable broth along with the pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Now, let's get the asparagus roasted. Cut off the tips of the asparagus and then spread both the stems and the tips evenly on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with one tablespoon of the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for ten minutes.
- While the asparagus is roasting, let's start the soup. Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and the leek.
- Saute until they are softened.
- Add the potato and a large pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Saute for about ten minutes, or until the onions are browned and the potato is softened.
- Add the garlic.
- Stir to combine the garlic and cook just until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add one cup of the vegetable broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen the browned bits.
- Add the remaining five cups of vegetable broth and the asparagus stalks.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or blender.
- Stir in one cup of the pistachio cream.
- Blend again until combined.
- Taste and add more salt and/or pepper if desired.
- Serve with remaining pistachio cream, roasted pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon slices. Enjoy!
This vegan asparagus soup is very filling, so it makes the perfect main dish for dinner.
When serving, top with with a drizzle of the pistachio cream, some extra roasted pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon slices.
Serve this soup for dinner with your favorite side salad and/or a slice of your favorite crusty bread.
Recipes to serve with asparagus soup:
- Golden beet salad with arugula and goat cheese
- Instant Pot steamed artichokes
- Olive rosemary focaccia bread
Recipe tips and substitutions
- If you can't find roasted salted pistachios, swap for raw. You might need to add a bit more salt at the end.
- If you don't like pistachios, you can swap for cashews.
- If you can't find leeks, substitute thinly sliced shallots or sweet onion.
- If you're pressed for time, you can make the pistachio cream a day ahead.
Storing and freezing
Storing: Store any leftover soup in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The soup will thicken as it sits, so you may want to thin it out with a bit of water or vegetable broth.
Reheat the soup in the microwave in 30-second increments or on the stove top.
Freezing: This soup freezes very well since it doesn't include any dairy! Once the soup has cooled completely, place it in an air tight freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
Reheat by defrosting the soup in the refrigerator and then heating on the stove top or in the microwave.
Woody ends do not puree well, so it's not recommended for this soup recipe. But they would be great for making a homemade vegetable stock!
Up to 5 days. It will thicken as it sits, so you may need to add some water or vegetable broth when reheating.
If you want to save the woody ends for soup, yes they freeze well. They are best used for flavor only or for making vegetable stock, as they don't puree well.
Sure! The flavor will be more mild, but should still be delicious.
Did you make this recipe? Leave us a review and star rating in the comments below! We read every single review and appreciate your feedback.
Creamy vegan asparagus soup
- 7 cups vegetable broth divided
- 1 cup roasted and salted shelled pistachios
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, woody ends removed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 medium leeks, white part only, chopped
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- roasted pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon slices for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make your pistachio cream. Combine 1 cup of the vegetable broth, pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.7 cups vegetable broth, 1 cup roasted and salted shelled pistachios, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Roast your asparagus. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut off the asparagus tips from the stems. Spread the stems and tips evenly on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil onto the asparagus and toss with tongs until evenly coated. Roast for 10 minutes. Place asparagus tips to the side for serving.2 pounds fresh asparagus, woody ends removed, 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Meanwhile, start your soup. Heat the remaining 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and leek and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add potato and season with a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Saute until onions are browned and potato is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, stir to combine, and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute.3 Tablespoons olive oil, 1 cup diced yellow onion, 2 medium leeks, white part only, chopped, 1 medium yukon gold potato, diced, Salt and pepper, 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- Add 1 cup of the vegetable broth to the soup pot and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen browned bits. Add remaining 5 cups of broth, asparagus stalks (not tips), and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.7 cups vegetable broth, 2 pounds fresh asparagus, woody ends removed
- Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the pistachio cream. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper to your liking.
- Serve with remaining pistachio cream, asparagus tips, roasted pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon slices.roasted pistachios, mint leaves, and lemon slices for serving (optional)
More soup recipes you'll love:
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!
Disclaimer: I was given a copy of The Healthy Mind in exchange for a review by Bloggingforbooks. The photos and opinions are all my own. Recipe copyright 2015 by Rebecca Katz.