HEY FRIENDS! I’VE CREATED A FACEBOOK COMMUNITY FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE VEGETARIAN COOKING WITH SEASONAL PRODUCE. JOIN US HERE!
Simple roasted spring onions recipe! These onions are slathered in dill butter, roasted until soft, and finished with a sprinkle of lemon.
Hello, Rhubarbarians! Bringing you another very simple side dish using in-season produce.
It's that time of year, when cooking through the seasons gets a little easier. There's just so much growing, so much gorgeous produce to choose from. I've been getting a few bunches of these spring onions each time I go to the farmers market, and I love cooking with them while I can during their short season.
So, these spring onions can be used in so many ways, and are very similar to green onions or scallions. Both are much milder tasting than the larger bulb onions, and the green parts are often used along with the bulb and can be eaten both raw and cooked. However, the bulb on spring onions is much larger than green onions or scallions. Spring onions can be used more like a large bulb onion, AND the green parts can be used like chives just like a scallion. Because of this, I find them so versatile and so easy to use!
How to eat these roasted spring onions:
- As a simple, spring side dish
- On a homemade pizza!
- Chopped up and stirred into a pasta with other vegetables
- On top of ricotta or avocado toast
- In a quiche or frittata!
Notes about this roasted spring onions recipe:
- I used spring onions with medium sized bulbs. If you have large bulbs, you will want to quarter them instead of halve. Small bulbs? Just leave whole.
- For vegan option: use olive oil or avocado oil instead of butter. Still so good!
- Don't have dill? So many herbs will work! Use fresh thyme or rosemary. This would also be great with dried herbs if you don't have access to fresh.
- Don't throw away the green tops! They are wonderful chopped up and used like chives, or toss them into a stir fry.
Roasted spring onions with dill butter and lemon
- 6-8 medium bulb spring onions
- 4 tablespoon soft butter, or olive oil for vegan
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 large wedge of lemon
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the green part off the spring onion just enough so that it's the length of your baking pan. Cut the bulbs of the onions in half.
- Mix the butter and the dill together until well combined. Using your hands, rub the butter evenly over all parts of all the onions. Place the onions in your pan, bulbs facing in alternating directions.
- Roast 40-50 minutes or until very soft and starting to caramelize. Remove from oven and sprinkle lemon juice evenly over the onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
What is your favorite way to use spring onions? Let me know, because I am swimming in them!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!