DOUBLE RAINBOW OH MY GOD! JK guys. That’s not ACTUALLY a double rainbow. Sure is pretty like a rainbow though eh? This southwest quinoa salad with green chile avocado dressing is another one of my “it’s way too freakin hot to cook” recipes. Also, I busted out my mini-food processor from a box just to make this for you. So there ya go.
Well, today I am at a wedding (or will be when this post hits!), my BFFs wedding! Getting all gussied up in a cabin on the water. Wondering how I am going to give a heartfelt, yet funny speech to hundreds of people WITHOUT getting too wasted first. It’s basically impossible. The alcohol calms my nerves, WAIT…… THE ALCOHOL MAKES ME CRY! Oh god. What am I doing?
See? The stress you guys. Of someone ELSE’S wedding. EGADS!
OK OK enough of my rambles. Should we discuss this salad? Since this is, you know, a food blog post about salad? Oooooooooohkay.
DOUBLE RAINBOW OH MY GOD!
Heh. Seriously now, this is really one awesome salad. That’s not red quinoa up there! That’s white quinoa cooked in Southwest spices. Oh yes. Red New Mexico chile powder and cumin create a super spiced protein in the quinoa. I was sort of trying to mimic that heavily spiced ground taco beef that’s normally in taco salads, but you know, healthy, and vegetarian.
This quinoa, although too heavily spiced on it’s own, totally kills it mixed with all the other goodness going on.
Aaaaaaaaand you can’t do Southwest without green chiles! I spent about a week in New Mexico a few years ago, and those peeps LUUUV their green chiles. It’s on ERRRRRRYTHING! Green chile ice cream anyone?
So, between the quinoa “taco meat,” the creamy green chile avocado dressing, and the fresh summery veggies, this Southwest quinoa salad hit it out of the park. Totes delicious.
- 1 Tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon New Mexico chile powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⅓ cup water, divided
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons canned green chiles
- 2 limes, juiced, plus 1 lime quartered for serving
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ears corn, removed from the cob
- ½ can black beans, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- ½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- A large handul of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the chile powder and cumin, and toast until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup water and the quinoa. Stir and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine avocado, sour cream, green chiles, lime juice, and ⅓ cup water in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and blend in.
- In a large serving bowl, combine quinoa, corn, beans, bell pepper, green onion, cheese, cilantro, and tomatoes. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with lime slices to squeeze onto salad.
Alrighty, wish me luck with my speech!
Happy weekend friends,
Join the fun and get free weekly recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up here!