Sweet meets savory strawberry ricotta popsicles! Sweet strawberries, herby basil, and savory ricotta cheese make these pops super unique and healthy. YUM! // Rhubarbarians
Hello friends! This post is one of my favorites from the archives. Way back from spring of 2015! 😉 I’m breathing some new life into it and thought you’d enjoy it too. Thanks for reading!
I came up with these popsicles way back then on a whim when I had way too much ricotta cheese in my fridge. What felt like a crazy experiment turned into a semi-savory popsicle. Something surprising and different, a popsicle like I had never tasted.
Cheesy, icy, but sweet and herby from the strawberries and basil.
Will you try this recipe this spring?
These ricotta popsicles are:
basil-y, strawberry-y, savory AND sweet, a bit salty, icy, cheesy, 100% beautiful. Just look at that color!
Some notes about this recipe:
- These are not creamsicles. The ricotta cheese hardens quite a bit, and does not become creamy when frozen.
- For sweeter popsicles, add more sugar. Maybe even cook the strawberries down in a saucepan with the sugar before pureeing for deeper, roasted strawberry flavor.
- For more strawberry/less cheese flavor, adjust the ratio to your liking. Add more strawberries and less cheese.
- Be brave and try out something new!
Sweet meets savory strawberry ricotta popsicles! Sweet strawberries, herby basil, and savory ricotta cheese make these pops super unique and healthy.
- 2 cups hulled and sliced strawberries. Fresh or defrosted frozen
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 10 whole fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for 30 minutes.
Insert popsicle sticks and freeze for an additional 3½ hours or overnight.
When frozen, remove from molds and store in the freezer in plastic baggies for up to 2 weeks.
Note: This recipe makes 10 (3oz) popsicles using this popsicle mold.
What do you think? Are these too crazy for you?
P.S. Want to see what I’m cooking up this week? Check out my Instagram stories!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!