Warm Brussels sprout salad recipe! A flavorful vegetarian shaved Brussels sprout salad with crisp apples, pecans, creamy blue cheese, and an apple cider vinaigrette.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi, Rhubarbarians! We are giving all the fall feels today with a crunchy and warm brussels sprout salad recipe.
Sauteed brussels sprouts, toasted pecans, tart cranberries, crunchy apples, creamy blue cheese, and a zingy apple cider vinaigrette.
It's a cozy, vegetarian salad that is the perfect side dish for a fall meal or Thanksgiving dinner!
Why you'll love this recipe
It's got all of your favorite fall flavors in a warm, cozy salad! The shaved brussels sprouts are sautéed until they are wilted and browned, but still crunchy. The warm brussels sprouts marry very well with the flavors of the pecans, cranberries, apples, and blue cheese. Then it all gets tossed in a simple apple cider vinaigrette. Amazing!
Ingredients and equipment
Full ingredients and instructions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this article.
- Pecans: raw chopped whole pecans or pecan pieces
- Olive oil
- Onion: we like red onion for this recipe
- Brussels sprouts: make things easy and buy a bag of pre-shaved brussels sprouts! (See tips in this post for shaving brussels sprouts if you only have whole)
- Salt and pepper
- Dried cranberries: sweetened or unsweetened, your choice
- Apple: we like crunchy honeycrisp or fuji apples
- Blue cheese: crumbled
- Apple cider: go for an unfiltered apple cider that you love
- Apple cider vinegar: go for raw, unfiltered apple cider. We love Bragg's
- Maple syrup: pure maple syrup. Nothing flavored or sweeteed
- Ground ginger
- Garlic: pressed or mashed
- Stove top or cook top
- Non-stick skillet
- Measuring cups
- Stirring utensil like a wooden spoon or spoonula
- Small plate or bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Sharp chef's knife
- Large mixing bowl
- Small bowl or jar
- Garlic press
- Small whisk or spoon
- Large spoons or salad servers
If you can't find a bag of pre-shaved brussels sprouts, you can shave your own! You can either use a food processor, or shave them yourself with a knife. First, chop off all of the root ends of the sprouts. Then, remove all of the browned leaves. Then, slice the brussels sprouts width-wise with a sharp knife. Rub gently with your fingers to separate them a bit. That's it!
Step by step instructions
Full instructions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this article.
- Prep all of your ingredients. Get your ingredients out and chopped before cooking, as this recipe cooks quickly.
- Toast the pecans in a a non-stick skillet. Be careful with these as they can burn easily.
- Saute the onion in some olive oil until fragrant and starting to brown.
- Add you brussels sprouts along with some salt and pepper.
- Saute it all together until the brussels sprouts are almost browned.
- Add the cranberries to the pan and saute until the brussels sprouts are browned but still crunchy.
- Make your dressing while all of that is cooking and set aside.
- Add the brussels sprouts to a mixing bowl and add your other salad ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over and toss to combine.
- Season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Our favorite way to serve this brussels sprout salad is warm as a side dish with a fall dinner.
We have made this as a vegetarian side dish for a holiday dinner as well and the flavors are perfect for Thanksgiving!
To make it a full meal: add some protein of your choice like brown or green lentils, crispy chickpeas, or even some crispy tofu. Try adding some greens as well like spinach or arugula.
Serve it cold: we love this salad cozy and warm, but it's great cold too! The brussels sprouts stay crunchy even after being dressed, which makes a great cold salad.
Making ahead and storing
- Making ahead: to make this ahead for a potluck or maybe a Thanksgiving dinner, we recommend slightly undercooking the brussels sprout mixture and reheating in a pan right before serving, if possible. Don't toss the mixture with the salad ingredients or dressing until ready to serve. If you need to prepare the entire thing the night before and serve it cold, that's okay! We recommend dressing it right before serving.
- Storing: store any leftovers in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to one day. It will get a bit soggy the longer it sits, so we recommend eating as soon as possible.
Recipe tips and substitutions
- We like to use store bought pre-shaved brussels sprouts. You can shave your own (see the ingredients and equipment section in this article to see how), but allow for more prep time.
- Don't overcook the brussels sprouts or they will become mushy. Cook them until they are browned but still a bit crunchy. Undercooked brussels sprouts are better than overcooked!
- Don't skip toasting the pecans! It adds such a nice flavor to the salad.
- If you don't like blue cheese, you can substitute with feta cheese or goat cheese.
- Make this recipe vegan by omitting the cheese or using plant based feta cheese.
- If you can't find pecans, you can substitute with walnuts or almonds.
- If you can't find dried cranberries, you can substitute with dried cherries.
Did you make this recipe? Leave us a review and star rating in the comments below! We read every single review and appreciate your feedback.
Warm Brussels sprout salad recipe! A flavorful vegetarian shaved brussels sprout salad with crisp apples, pecans, and creamy blue cheese.
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups shaved brussels sprouts (we like to buy pre-shaved)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup finely diced apple
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- additional salt and pepper (if needed)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ Tablespoon maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon pressed or mashed fresh garlic
Heat the pecans in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Toast, watching closely and stirring often, until the pecans are toasted but not burned. You should be able to smell toasted pecan aroma when they are toasted and they should be slightly browned. About 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Reduce the heat the medium and add 3 Tablespoons of olive oil to the non-stick skillet. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the brussels sprouts to the pan along with the salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the brussels sprouts are wilted and almost browned, but still have some crunch to them, about 5 minutes. Add the cranberries and continue to saute, stirring occasionally, until the brussels sprouts are browned but still crunchy, another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add to a large mixing bowl.
While the brussels sprout mixture is cooking, make your dressing. In a small bowl or jar, whisk together 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, the apple cider, the apple cider vinegar, the maple syrup, the ginger, and the garlic. Whisk until emulsified and set aside.
Add the toasted pecans, apple, and blue cheese to the brussels sprout mixture. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Season to your liking with salt and pepper.
Serve warm. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!