A healthier take on the classic pumpkin quick bread! This pumpkin cranberry rye bread is moist and delicious, and packed with deep rich flavor from whole grain dark rye flour.
Today marks the launch of a new monthly post here on Rhubarbarians. I’ve joined the Recipe Redux community! WOOT! Each month we are given a theme, and our task is to create a healthy recipe based on the theme. Fun eh?
This month, we were asked to create recipes for creative quick breads. “The holiday baking season is upon us. And this month we’re going way beyond grandma’s banana bread. From sweet to savory and whole-grain to gluten-free, show us your new quick bread creation fresh from the oven. And if you have a tip for wrapping and giving your lovely loaf, please share that too!”
I absolutely love rye flour. I love the dark, rich flavor. I love the savory taste. I also love that whole grain dark rye flour is packed full of fiber and nutrients. I decided on a pumpkin bread, because…….. TIS THE SEASON! Aaaaaaaaand of course I added cranberries because I’M OBSESSED!
It’s no secret that I’m not a baker. Something I love about quick breads though, they are really really simple. You don’t need to be an excellent baker to make them! Last year, I made my first gingerbread, and I’m totally hooked now.
One thing I did wrong here though……… I cut into the bread WAY before it had cooled enough. I basically mashed up half the loaf just trying to get one piece out. Ooopsies. So, let this cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting out a slice. It will still be warm, believe me!
I’m so excited to join this community and start sharing healthier versions of your favorite recipes. Click around the links below to check out more of the recipes for healthy quick breads!
- Olive or coconut oil for greasing pan
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole grain dark rye flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 Tbsp roasted, unsalted pepitas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 10″ x 5″ loaf pan with coconut or olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both the flours and next 4 ingredients, through salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs just until yolks break. Whisk in the honey, olive oil, and vanilla. Whisk in the brown sugar. Whisk in the pumpkin puree.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Sprinkle pepitas evenly on top. Bake, uncovered, 60-70 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick or knife in the center. if it comes out with any batter, continue cooking. If it comes out clean, it is done. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
[inlinkz_linkup id=576091 mode=1]