This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeItYourself #CollectiveBias
Homemade butternut squash rolls recipe! Pillowy soft and fluffy dinner rolls made with butternut squash and sage. Perfect for your Thanksgiving table or holiday dinner.
Are you imagining the warm and cozy smell of freshly baking butternut squash rolls in your kitchen? Or imagining tearing open a warm, pillowy soft roll and spreading a little butter on it? Oh yes.
Soft and fluffy dinner rolls with savory flavors
These rolls are everything you could want in a dinner roll. They are soft, fluffy, warm fresh from the oven.
But these ones have a savory flavor to them! The butternut squash and sage flavors are perfect together and are apparent but no overpowering in these parker house rolls. You get a bit of sweet, squash flavor and a bit of herby, sage flavor, but still that freshly baked bread taste you love in a dinner roll.
Have you tried our olive rosemary focaccia bread?
Butternut squash rolls from scratch
When it comes to rolls, you just can't beat freshly baked and homemade. The joyous feeling you get when you knead the dough, see it rise, and then bake in your own oven always makes it worth it.
You will be proud to share these rolls on your Thanksgiving table or with your holiday dinner. Home baked rolls from scratch express more than words can say during the holiday season. The time for putting love into what you make for others and making every dish on your table a special one!
Rapid rise yeast for quick and easy baking
Baking homemade butternut squash rolls may sound intimidating, but it's really quite simple! Especially when you use Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast.
Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast is perfect for beginner bakers because it only requires one short rise to create perfectly soft and fluffy rolls. The rise for these squash rolls is only 30 minutes!
Tips for perfect baking with Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast:
- Always follow the instructions on the package!
- Your liquid needs to be between 120-130 degrees F. If the liquid is too cool, it won't rise. If it's too hot, it will die. A thermometer is best to check the temperature, but if you don't have one use your finger to test that the liquid is warm to the touch, but not hot.
- A common issue with dough that won't rise is expired yeast. Check the expiration date.
How to make butternut squash rolls
First, make your squash puree
- Place cubed butternut squash in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until very soft. Mash until well mashed.
Get your dough started
- Combine flour, sugar, Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the milk, water, and butter in a microwave safe bowl and slowly heat until very warm but not hot (see tips for liquid temperature above).
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture along with the butternut squash and sage.
- Beat with a mixer, slowly adding flour until the mixture forms into a ball.
Knead the dough and let it rise
- Knead the dough on a floured surface and then cover with a towel and let it rest.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces and form the pieces into balls. Place into a pan.
- Cover with a towel and let the dough rise until doubled in size. About 10 minutes.
Bake the rolls
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Run a knife around the edges and remove the rolls. Let them cool on a wire rack.
Keep them warm and serve
Now for the best part, serving and eating the rolls! A great way to keep them warm at your table is to wrap them all in a clean cloth towel and place in a bowl or basket. The towel will hold in the heat while they get passed around to your guests.
If you made the rolls ahead and need to reheat them, the best way is to place them back in a baking pan close together and bake until heated through. But, our guess is that your oven will be occupied with other holiday faves.
So, try the slow cooker! Place a damp, warm cloth towel in the bottom of your slow cooker and top with the rolls. Cover and heat on low until the rolls are nice and warm.
Have you tried our roasted butternut squash halves with thyme honey butter?
Butternut squash rolls recipe
Fluffy butternut squash rolls with sage
- 1 ½ cups finely cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast (2-¼ tsp.)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- Place the butternut squash in a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir and microwave for another 3 minutes or until very soft and easy to mash. Mash with a fork until well mashed.
- Combine ¾ cup flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl and stir until blended.
- Combine milk, water and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120° to 130°F. Butter won’t melt completely).
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture along with the butternut squash mash and the sage.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add ¼ cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in just enough of the remaining flour (1 to 1-¼ cups) so that the dough will form into a ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls using your hands. Place in greased 8-inch round or square pan. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 375ºF oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan by running a knife around the edges and invert onto wire rack; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Serve warm.
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians #BakeItYourself #HomemadeDinnerRolls.
Thank you so much for reading and supporting Rhubarbarians. If you’re looking for a group of people cooking vegetarian recipes through the seasons, join us on Facebook in our vegetarian and vegan recipes group!
Hope you enjoy these fantastic squash rolls and don't forget to check out Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast for your beginner baking adventures!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!