Time for another winter whiskey cocktail? Oh yes.
So, I’ve got this awesome book sitting on my coffee table, Winter Cocktails by Maria Del Mar Sacasa. Know what it’s full of?
English Christmas punch, pumpkin bourbon eggnog, and salted caramel hot chocolate.
Needless to say, this is my kinda book. It makes me want to drink fancy winter cocktails aaaaaaalllll day errrrrrday.
It inspired me to make this cocktail, a warm and cozy vegan chai with whiskey and fresh orange juice. It took me several times to hone this one. I’m usually a regular unsweetened, plain almond milk drinker, but for this one the sweetened vanilla almond milk is key.
Mmmmmmmm……. not too sweet, not too spicy, not too boozy, so yes, I can drink it in the afternoon, which I did when I made the one in the photo.
Livin the dream guys, livin the dream.
- 8 oz sweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1½ teaspoons loose leaf chai tea
- 1 oz whiskey
- 1 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
- Ground cinnamon, orange slice, and cinnamon stick for garnish (optional)
- Place tea in a small french press.
- Heat almond milk in a small saucepan until just beginning to bubble. Do not boil. Remove from heat and pour into french press. Let steep for 2-3 minutes.*
- Meanwhile, pour whiskey and orange juice into a mug.
- When tea is steeped, plunge french press and pour chai over whiskey and orange juice.
- Stir well and top with a tiny dash of cinnamon. Garnish with an orange slice and a cinnamon stick.
*Do not steep for any longer than 3 minutes, as your tea can easily become bitter if steeped too long.