Warm up with a delicious apple cider hot toddy! This hot apple toddy is a warm and cozy whiskey cocktail for those cool nights.
Oh hello, Rhubarbarians!
It's hot toddy season! The time for cozy blankets, all the fall foods, and gearing up for the holidays. The time for warm chai cocktails, holiday cocktails, and holiday spiced coffee. But, it's also the time for sniffly noses, short days, and maybe some icky sicknesses.
We got you.
What is a hot toddy
A hot toddy is a hot and cozy cocktail made with whiskey (or bourbon), honey, and lemon. Think: lemon honey tea with a splash of whiskey in it. SO GOOD.
A hot toddy is not only amazing for cozying up with a blanket and some Netflix on a cold day, but is also known to be great for making those pesky colds just a bit more bearable. FANTASTIC.
This hot toddy is the ultimate fall cocktail spin on the classic. The same classic hot toddy ingredients, but made with hot apple cider instead of water. It's just so perfect for fall!
What type of alcohol
We like the hot toddy classic: whiskey! The pairing of whiskey or bourbon with apple cider is very complimentary and tastes so yummy with the lemon and honey.
There are variations out there that are made with rum, brandy, or vodka rather than whiskey.
We recommend darker spirits for warm winter flavors! However, if you're wanting something a bit on the lighter side, give vodka a try.
Whichever alcohol you choose, this apple cider cocktail is perfect for sipping on if you are feeling a bit under the weather, or watching a holiday movie, or maybe just reading a book under a blanket and sipping something warm by the fire. It's the epitome of a fall cocktail and WE LOVE IT.
Step by step instructions
Here's how to make an apple cider hot toddy, step by step. (Full ingredients and instructions are listed in the recipe card below)
- Heat the apple cider on the stove top or in the microwave until it just starts to boil. Pour it into a mug.
- Add your whiskey (or bourbon). Drizzle in some honey and squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the mug.
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish if you'd like with cinnamon a cinnamon stick and an apple and/or lemon slice.
- Sip slowly and enjoy!
How to serve
We love this cocktail because of how easy it is to make and because it makes a great single serve cocktail and a crowd pleasing holiday party cocktail.
To serve as an individual cocktail:
- Follow the instructions in the recipe card below.
- Get fancy and garnish with a cinnamon stick, apple slice, and a lemon slice.
To serve as a big batch Thanksgiving or holiday cocktail:
- Warm up a large amount of apple cider on the stove top in a pot. Add your desired amount of whiskey to the cider (see below for non-alcoholic options). You have the option of adding cinnamon sticks and lemon slices for looks. Keep it warm, but not boiling and have a ladle ready for serving.
- Have lemon slices and honey ready to add to the cocktails when ready to serve as well as spoons for stirring.
- Have garnishes ready as well like cinnamon sticks, apple slices, and lemon slices.
Make it non-alcoholic
To make a non-alcoholic mocktail version, simply leave out the whiskey! Mix warm apple cider with freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey. Delicious.
A hot toddy as a cold remedy
OK. I'm not a doctor, so I honestly I can't say whether a hot toddy will cure a cold. But, a lot of people swear by drinking hot toddies when they have a cold.
I think we can all agree that drinking hot fluids, citrus, and maybe even honey can help a lot when we are sick.
But the whiskey? That's controversial. It might help you relax a bit and some claim that it can work as a decongestant, but there's conflicting information out there about whether it helps or not.
We recommend asking your doctor if you're concerned about drinking a hot toddy while being sick.
Apple cider hot toddy
- 6 ounces apple cider
- 1 ounce bourbon or whiskey
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- cinnamon stick, lemon slice, and apple slice for garnish (optional)
- Heat the apple cider until it just starts to boil. In the microwave or stove top.
- Transfer the hot apple cider to a large mug. Add the bourbon, lemon juice, and honey. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks, lemon slice, and apple slice. (optional)
- Enjoy immediately while hot.
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians.
Thank you so much for reading and supporting Rhubarbarians and the brands that we recommend. If you’re looking for a group of people cooking vegetarian recipes through the seasons, join us on Facebook in our vegetarian and vegan recipes group!
Cheers to getting warm and cozy this season!
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!