This is my go-to recipe for honey roasted rhubarb toast! Sweet honey baked rhubarb with ricotta pistachio toast and mint. The perfect vegetarian spring breakfast or light lunch with fresh rhubarb.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey hey, Rhubarbarians!
So much to celebrate this time of year because... it's rhubarb season! We are cooking up rhubarb any and every way we can right now before it's gone.
Rhubarb on toast
Rhubarb toast may seem strange, but but it's so delicious! Rhubarb is chopped and roasted in honey until it's soft, but still holds it's shape. Then it's topped onto ricotta toast and sprinkled with pistachios and fresh mint and drizzled with more honey. Season with some sea salt and you've got yourself amazing rhubarb toast.
How to roast rhubarb
We like roasting rhubarb because it steers a bit out of the "rhubarb pie" box. It's an unusual way to eat rhubarb, but honestly, our favorite way. We've been roasting rhubarb in honey for years and using it on top of EVERYTHING. Yogurt, ice cream, pancakes, and now... toast. So, if you're wondering what the heck to do with all that rhubarb, this is a really versatile way to use it.
Full instructions are in the recipe card below!
- First, preheat your oven and cut your rhubarb into about 1" pieces width wise.
- Toss the rhubarb in honey.
- Roast the rhubarb in the oven until soft.
You can use it in everything you would put berries on! The honey gives it enough sweetness, but it stays in tact and is still very tart. I'm thinking about adding it to a salad next. Hmmmm........
Have you tried our vegan rhubarb pancakes?
Recipe notes and tips
- This recipe makes a bit more rhubarb than you might need for the toast. We like to keep the extra in the fridge and top on yogurt or ice cream over the next day or so.
- The mint is optional, but we love the fresh, herbiness it adds. GO FOR IT!
- You could adjust this recipe to be more savory, or more sweet. Maybe add some dill, fresh basil, and freshly cracked pepper to make it more savory. Add a chocolate drizzle over the top or chocolate chips for more of a sweet treat. YOU DO YOU!
- We used sourdough bread, but any bread will work for this. I think whole grain bread would be fantastic!
Need more rhubarb recipes? Here's our ultimate list for you!
Honey roasted rhubarb toast! Sweet honey baked rhubarb with ricotta pistachio toast and mint. The perfect vegetarian spring breakfast or light lunch with fresh rhubarb.
- 4 medium stalks fresh rhubarb, cut into bite sized pieces. About 3 cups
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 4-6 large slices rustic bread of your choice.
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 Tbsp chopped, roasted pistachios
- 1 Tbsp chopped, fresh mint (optional)
- additional honey for drizzle
- sea salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional).
Toss the rhubarb with the 3 Tbsp of honey and spread evenly on your baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until rhubarb is very soft.
Meanwhile, toast your bread. Give your ricotta a good stir and whip some air into it. When the toast is ready, spread the ricotta evenly over your slices. Top with as much rhubarb as you'd like and sprinkle the pistachios and the mint on top. Drizzle as much honey as you'd like over the top and season with a bit of sea salt. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please let us know on social media or in the comments below! Leave a star rating in your comment or tag us on Instagram with #Rhubarbarians
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? GET FREE WEEKLY RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX! SIGN UP HERE!